- Zhenhuan Lei. 2022. “The Political Resource Blessing or Curse? Patronage Networks, Infrastructure Investment, and Economic Development in China.” Conditionally accepted, Comparative Political Studies. [SSRN]
- Zhenhuan Lei and Junlong Zhou. 2022. “Private Returns to Public Investment: Political Career Incentives and Infrastructure Investment in China.” The Journal of Politics, 84(1): 455-469. [SSRN, Gated, Replication files]
- Zhenhuan Lei and Jeffrey B. Nugent. 2018. “Coordinating China’s Economic Growth Strategy via Its Government-Controlled Association for Private Firms.” Journal of Comparative Economics, 46: 1273-1293. [SSRN, Gated]
- “Judicial Independence through Recentralization: Evidence from China,” with Yishuang Li (NYU).
- “The Fiscal Logic of Responsiveness: Public Finance, Elections, and Public Goods Provision in Rural China.”
- “Local Influence in the Central Government: Political Alignment and the Allocation of Stock Market Resources in China,” with Yishuang Li (NYU).